Everyone deserves a safe, secure, and affordable place to call home.
Through the New Build Housing programme Bristol has initiated the largest council housing development programme in this city for over 35 years. Bristol has increased Council tax on empty homes and prioritised survivors of domestic abuse for rehousing.
But we need to do more and build for people not profit.
- Build Council houses for Social Rent – get people off the Council waiting list into homes
- Move families out of tower blocks
- Repair Council homes as a priorit
- Retrofit Council homes and encourage energy efficiency in all homes
- Support Community led housing especially in deprived areas
- Recognise land as an asset for communities – keep it in public hands
- Support renters in dispute with management companies reneging on their responsibilities e.g. like Three Lamps Campaign, Totterdown
- Work with Acorn Community Union to oppose illegal evictions and unscrupulous letting agent practices e.g. letting out damp properties
- Campaign for more secure tenancies and more affordable rent – we agree with Shelter that no-one should have to pay more than 35% of their post-tax income to put a roof over their heads
- Bristol has got rough sleeping down by 80% – we need to end it altogether